Sunday, April 29, 2007

R.I.P. Josh Hancock

Terrible news from St. Louis. A sad day for Cardinal Nation, bringing back the shock of losing Darryl Kile in 2002.

There are a lot of questions about this accident but it's better to wait for further info before speculating.

I'll spare you a lot of perspective stuff only to say that, yeah, we like to think of our sports heroes as being somehow immune from the travails of life, since for many watching sports itself is an escape from the travails of life. I suppose we need the occasional grounding reminder, but it stinks nevertheless.

5/2/07

Life can throw some nasty curveballs. After watching Cardinal baseball for more than 30 years I've never seen the team go from pinnacle to pit in such a hurry. A good manager is supposed to shepherd a team through troubled times but I wonder if Tony LaRussa's Spring Training DUI incident has left him with no moral authority?

No comments: