Thursday, June 18, 2009

About Bush's "Firing Back" and the Pilot

Two stories in the news right now. First, Bush "Firing Back" at Obama...

Here's the seminal quote on Gitmo as delivered by Huffington Post:
"I told you I'm not going to criticize my successor," he said. "I'll just tell you that there are people at Gitmo that will kill American people at a drop of a hat and I don't believe that persuasion isn't going to work. Therapy isn't going to cause terrorists to change their mind."
That sounds more than a bit confusing towards the end. Just another Bushism? Here's how the Washington Times phrased it, as linked by Drudge:
"I told you I'm not going to criticize my successor," he said. "I'll just tell you that there are people at Gitmo that will kill American people at a drop of a hat and I don't believe that -- persuasion isn't going to work. Therapy isn't going to cause terrorists to change their mind."
Notice the dash, which means he stopped mid-sentence and clarified. The video will tell, but would it surprise anyone if HuffPo left off the dash on purpose?
...

Condolences to the family of the Continental pilot who passed away on a flight from Brussels to Newark. And the sensationalism knows no bounds..

The 'passenger' who helped 'fly the plane' was a relief pilot. The story here will probably become the pilot's age, 61 (they were flying as flight 61, weird). Federal regulations were changed in 2007 allowing pilots to continue flying past the age of 60. Previously they were forced into retirement, now they can continue through age 65. This event should not change that rule, but some might make hay over it.

No comments: