Saturday, April 21, 2007

No memorials for losers

This is probably the last article on this story for me but I wanted to weigh in on this one last aspect. Mr. SeeDubya, pinch hitting today at Hot Air, pointed out a tolerance-fest for Cho going on at some lefty blogs and had this to say:
I’m not going to apologize for dubbing this psycho “Psy-Cho”, by the way. He wants to be feared and taken seriously and have his name spoken in hushed tones. I’m not going to give the respect he never tried to earn, and I want anyone who wants to do what he did to know that his legacy will be eternal ridicule and derision.
To me this boils down to how we're going to look at Cho. Are we going to consider him a whackjob who snapped or a calculating loser who, like every Islamic suicide terrorist has decided to trade a pathetic life on earth for something beyond? Some might say the suicide bombers are not as crazy since at least they are promised hot virgin sex in the afterlife but this is more about evil than crazy, in my view.

While SeeDubya feels it necessary to suppress even the faintest hint of remorse for Cho (and I respect that) I do feel at least some. I feel bad he couldn't have risen out of his dark hole. I feel bad nobody around him, say an older, more popular guy (maybe another Korean) wasn't around to at least acknowledge him. Sorrier still that he ended it like he did without finding peace with God.

But I refuse to believe he was incapable of at least partially understanding his situation. His calculated planning defies that notion. Up to his point of departure there was still a chance for redemption by overcoming his problems and becoming one of life's winners. Instead he chose poorly and very selfishly, transferring his choice onto others, rendering him both evil and a loser. Any public tributes to the victims should not be tarnished by his likeness unless it shows him with his head blown off.

It's the same principle with the Flight 93 Memorial in Pennsylvania. While some might feel remorse for the men who took those planes it's abhorrent to memorialize them in public in any way. They might as well erect a plaque for Satan.

No comments: