Some so-called expert called it a contrail but it couldn't be. One, contrails do not appear at low altitude so if it's a contrail the object was actually hundreds of miles away at the altitudes normally conducive to contrails. Since this was fall at sunset the 'Harvest Moon' refraction effect could be coming into play here, making a distant object appear closer, but if this object is actually at 35,000 well away from NYC it's too large and moving too fast.
Weather observations from LaGuardia Airport during the event:
KLGA 110051Z 35009KT 10SM FEW150 SCT250 10/M01 A3015 RMK AO2 SLP211 T01001011Clear, with only a few clouds above 8000 feet. Not likely a weather event. So on with the requisite speculation..
KLGA 102351Z 36011G18KT 10SM FEW150 SCT250 11/M01 A3014 RMK AO2 SLP206 T01061011 10144 20106 51019
KLGA 102251Z 36009KT 10SM FEW150 BKN250 11/M01 A3013 RMK AO2 SLP201 T01111006
KLGA 102151Z COR 36012KT 10SM FEW150 BKN250 12/00 A3010 RMK AO2 SLP193 T01170000
KLGA 102051Z 35011G20KT 10SM FEW080 SCT140 BKN250 13/01 A3008 RMK AO2 SLP187 T01330006 53014
1. Astronomical phenomena? It looks somewhat like a "fireball meteor" sometimes seen during meteor showers. Thing is, they normally appear to be coming downward at a slight angle, while this object is maintaining its altitude and moving slower. But with refraction in play it's possible.
2. Aircraft? Only possible if the object is scores of miles away from New York, up at the contrail-producing altitudes. The 'Harvest Moon' effect could help this, but if it was an aircraft contrail it definitely not anything in the immediate NY area.
As with California, the FAA should be able to study their tapes and determine what was moving in that approximate location at that time, assuming they could approximate its location. Which is why FAA tapes might be inconclusive.
3. Cruise Missile? It was certainly moving along like they do. But who fired it? The New Confederacy? Mexico? Hugo Chavez?
4. Hoax? It did come only two days after the California 'mystery missile' so this must be considered. Ironically, both were seen and filmed by traffic helicopters but short of media hanky panky this kind of hoax would be a very elaborate (and kind of scary, if possible).
5. Pelosi, an alien space craft, a new Air Force vehicle or Santa Claus testing a new sleigh. Make up your own explanations here.
Pretty weird. A celestial object makes some sense--made to appear larger due to refraction (and if it was a long way off it would appear to be moving slower)--but I'm open to anything on this one.. except a contrail, which only leads to survey reactions like this.
SPEAKING OF WEIRD THINGS IN THE SKY... 11/11/10
The concept of the existence of such a video and what it would mean is fascinating. Keep in mind that on 9/11 Katie Couric, then with NBC News, twice mentioned that 800 had been "bombed". That clip was formerly available on You Tube then spiked; was on Google Videos then also spiked. They tried to put it here, and yep, spiked.