Thursday, May 05, 2011

River Rise

Here's what the Mississippi at Memphis normally looks like in early summer, looking out towards the south end of Mud Island:

There is a long bank from Riverside Drive to the area where the paddle boats are boarded. Notice the flags on the end of Mud Island.

Here's what it looked like today:

The boats are at street level now.

Here's another shot from the end of Union Avenue as it intersects Riverside drive, which is closed going southward due to water on the road at the Beale Street light..



Water at 45 feet, heading to 48 feet by next week. Speaking of Beale Street, it's well above the flood (in case you have a trip planned soon)..

The good news is that local rivers feeding the Mississippi are down below flood now that the rain has stopped, which has cut in half the number of homes and businesses they expected to be susceptible to flooding. Here's hoping..

4 comments:

LA Sunset said...

Like I have said before, Tunica pays for Beale St. when I am there. Saw Tunica and I don't think there are any parking places so I will pass this time.

A.C. McCloud said...

I live around here and haven't been to Beale St. in years. Of course I'm just an old fuddy duddy nowadays.

If river rises another 2 ft as forecast it will spill over to most of Riverside Drive downtown where these pics were taken. Downtown DeWitt Spain airport is already underwater and BBQ fest has been moved.

Right Truth said...

We were at Beale Street a couple of years ago, at the Peabody for a medical conference. I used to work at the NBC bank building when we lived there. It is really hard to imagine the river over Riverside Drive and on Beale Street.

Heard this morning sections of the river are to be 'closed off'?

Not sure what that will mean for others up/down stream.

Our access road here had water over it for one day this week, the next subdivision to us is still under water, having to use boats to get to and from their homes.

The Tennessee river and creeks have been up but are apparently slowly going down.

Debbie
Right Truth
http://www.righttruth.typepad.com

LA Sunset said...

//I live around here and haven't been to Beale St. in years. Of course I'm just an old fuddy duddy nowadays.//

Funny how that works. I lived here in Indy for years before I ever set foot inside the speedway. Drove past it a million times, but never went into it until 11 or 12 yrs ago. And when I finally saw a race there, it was the Brickyard. I have yet to see the 500 race.