Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Katrina light

CNN has a headline story this morning about the aftermath and cleanup from Wilma in southern Florida. One quote stands out:


On Florida's southwest coast, in Naples, residents were angry when FEMA staff didn't show up to distribute water when they said they would.

"What are we supposed to do? We're supposed to count on FEMA. It's disgusting," resident Nilsa Colon said.


I'm no stranger to extended power outages. I've been through two, one of three days and the other six days over the past 12 years due to storms. I've been through a Cat 1 hurricane.

So pardon the frankness, but give me a friggin break. This storm was first reported to be targeting southern FLA a week ago Sunday. This morning marked only 48 hours since landfall. After the hurricane season we've just had, and after a week's worth of warnings, anyone dumb enough not to buy themselves a 5-10 dollar case of bottled water should be embarrassed to publicly admit it.

I predict CNN will find more of these victims who'll blame FEMA or the Bush brothers, especially after the indictments hit.

4 comments:

C R Mountjoy - GDF said...

Amen! I lived through Camille. Back then there was no cable, just regular news and news papers. We prepared, we bought provisions for five days. We were without power for over two weeks. No one looted. Everyone prepared, including the poor! So wha't diffeent today? In the culture of it's everyone elses fault and not mine, you can see how CNN can find victims of this admins indifference to all, esp the poor. Great Post! Thanks for the visit to my site.

A.C. McCloud said...

Hat's off to you. I imagine Katrina was even worse for them. We had a tremendous thunderstorm here in west TN about 3 years ago. It knocked out power for 5 days across 80 percent of the city. Lots of structural damage, winds were 80-110 mph. No one saw it coming. Yet--no looting, very little whining. People got by.

I recently bought some cases of bottled water to donate to Katrina victims, they cost less than 8 bucks. Only the poorest of the poor cannot afford to protect themselves as such when they know a hurricane is coming a week ahead of time.

Anonymous said...

We arrange to have 4-6 days of food and water on hand, living on the Gulf Coast of Texas. If a hurricane comes, I can a) evacuate or b) stay. If I evacuate, then I may not need the food or water. If I stay, it was MY decision, and I take responsibility for it. Neither FEMA nor Rick Perry are responsible to get me water and food!

A.C. McCloud said...

Bob, I would like to think you are the rule rather than the exception. I do know this- saying what you said to a CNN reporter will get your interview onto the cutting room floor quick.