Friday, March 14, 2008

All is forgiven?

Barack has come out with a strong denunciation of his former pastor's publicized blame America talk. It's a solid statement, seemingly rejecting his former spiritual adviser and unpaid campaign adviser, but is it enough?

For instance, where was any of this when he was still neck and neck with Hillary? Most of the other candidates had their closets cleaned by the media back in 2007. Perhaps his was as well and nobody cared until he became a contender, or perhaps too many were afraid to go there, as per Geraldine Ferraro.

Whatever the case, this section of the statement seems rather unconvincing:
The statements that Rev. Wright made that are the cause of this controversy were not statements I personally heard him preach while I sat in the pews of Trinity or heard him utter in private conversation. When these statements first came to my attention, it was at the beginning of my presidential campaign. I made it clear at the time that I strongly condemned his comments. But because Rev. Wright was on the verge of retirement, and because of my strong links to the Trinity faith community, where I married my wife and where my daughters were baptized, I did not think it appropriate to leave the church.
It's hard to believe Reverend Wright was totally out of character in those snippets. Rather, they seem rather impassioned and totally in character, especially considering the ties with Louis Farrakhan. Thing is, will anyone dare pursue this matter with the candidate beyond this point?

MORE 3/14/08

To the amazement of many, including me, Obama went ahead and tossed reverend Wright under the bus. My thought was that he'd wait until getting the nomination but maybe he felt the nomination was in jeopardy if he didn't. Chances are Wright was consulted on the move. His last consultation, perhaps. Then again, who'll know?

MORE 3/15/08

For a guy running on the idea that his judgment is better for that all-important 3AM call, he certainly isn't endorsing himself very highly.

No comments: