Thursday, September 30, 2010

God on Their Side

The Huffington Post has a breathless headline this morning:
Christine O'Donnell Says God Is Guiding Her Campaign (VIDEO)
The story goes on to point out comments she made about her faith guiding her in the campaign. But that's not the story. The article quotes Rev. Dr. C. Welton Gaddy, President of the Interfaith Alliance, on the subject on politics and faith:
Candidates for public office are free to talk about how their faith informs their thinking, but should not imply that policy positions will be based on scripture rather than the Constitution. It has been my experience that when candidates intentionally insert faith into politics, the purpose is rarely to protect religion; rather it is done to enhance a political position.
Emphasis added to point out the dichotomy created by this statement just a few days ago, from the President of the United States, in response to why he became a Christian:
"It was because the precepts of Jesus Christ spoke to me in terms of the kind of life that I would want to lead -- being my brother's and sister's keeper, treating others as they would treat me," he said.

"And I think also understanding that, you know, that Jesus Christ dying for my sins spoke to the humility we all have to have as human beings -- that we're sinful and we're flawed and we make mistakes, and that we ... achieve salvation through the grace of God."

and..

"I think my public service is part of that effort to express my Christian faith,"
Hmm, sure seems like he might be trying to suggest the precepts of Jesus and the Bible have led to his 'policies', doesn't it?

No comments: