Thursday, November 23, 2006

Turkey man

That's me. In a tradition that arose from some twisted event long since forgotten but probably involving some tense marital situation, I got assigned the turkey job. Others who claim residence here at the AC household are given different culinary assignments, like green bean casserole, yam casserole, stuffing (sometimes called dressing by the older folks) and hot dogs. Just kidding there. But I do the bird, no kidding.

Unfortunately I'm not very creative with it. Guys at work talk about deep frying or other exotic preparations and I just nod head and say, "sounds good" not wanting to admit that if the darn thing would fit in the microwave, I'd do it. But everyone loves the traditional turkey so that's what they get and few complain. At least not publicly. My preparation secrets? Thaw the bird, ream out the gutlet bags and take off that little metal shackle, smear some salt on the inside cavity and ram it in the oven before quickly exiting towards the den.

But I'm thankful for the opportunity. This blog can get pretty conspiratorial and sarcastic about world leaders and the nature of things in general, but the truth is our country, despite its shortcomings, is still a land of plenty for many in a world filled with poverty and pain. I'd be remiss not to acknowledge my blessings.

Lastly, on a day where most folks make no apology for slobbishly lying around eating and watching TV all day here's an interesting take on some Thanksgiving movies from Salem's Lot. I agree with John about Planes, Trains, and Automobiles only because I'm a huge John Candy fan. That scene when they wake up in that small bed and realize some unintended touching has occurred overnight is one of the best examples of Man Law you'll ever see. Enjoy, folks.

THANKSGIVING THOUGHTS 11/23/06

Thanksgiving is the greatest American holiday. Some might say it's Independence Day (Christmas doesn't count for obvious reasons) but if not for the tone set by thanking God for blessings at that early date this country might not have been formed. Don't take my word for it, take George Washington's.

That spirit can still be found today in posts like this and this. It cannot be found in the story discussed here, but while it's tempting to call this an outlier event, checking some of the "Thanksgiving Guilt" stories on the lefty blogs makes me wonder. One thing is certain, though. The day this holiday falls to political correctness will mark the official end of "the great experiment".

No comments: