Friday, April 14, 2006

The ReNu snafu

As a long-time contact lens wearer the news about ReNu solution hit close to home, since I just rinsed off my contacts with it this morning. It's a great product, but I guess every great product eventually comes into some controversy:
U.S. health authorities are looking into 109 cases of Fusarium keratitis, a rare fungal infection that can cause permanent vision loss if untreated.

People in 26 of those cases said they used ReNu products or generic versions made by
Bausch & Lomb. Most of the patients reported using ReNu with MoistureLoc manufactured at the company's U.S. factory, it said.
26 out of 109 doesn't necessarily sound so bad, but here's the catch--they've only reviewed about 30 cases so far.

The company issued a statement in several newspapers and on their company website today, which convinces me to cease and desist until further info becomes available.

This is smart business. Anytime such allegations surface it's best to proactively remove the product for a short while and investigate rather than falling prey to the natural human tendency to defensively deny everything. And while I'd like to believe Bausch and Lomb cares deeply about me, I know they really care more about the bottom line. But that's ok, since an unsafe product doesn't make much money.

No comments: