Tuesday, October 17, 2006

A Hot Fuss over Green Day

Being that I'm past 40 it might be silly to even discuss the subject of modern rock music. My rock knowledge pretty much trailed off somewhere after the third Boston album as my musical tastes wandered off elsewhere for a decade or so. While I was 'gone' hip-hop hippity hopped all over the planet.

But after being forced some new music on a recent trip the "Killers" turned out to be a pleasant surprise. Green Day, not so much, partly due to their hippie politics.

And after reading this I've developed even more respect for the Killers:
THE KILLERS frontman BRANDON FLOWERS has slammed rock band GREEN DAY's negative attitude towards the US. Flowers insists he is offended by the AMERICAN IDIOT rockers' portrayal of America, and has criticised the band's supposedly disloyal decision to film their DVD, BULLET IN A BIBLE, in the UK. He says, "You have Green Day and American Idiot. Where do they film their DVD? In England. "A bunch of kids screaming 'I don't want to be an American idiot' - I saw it as a very negative thing towards Americans. It really lit a fire in me.
That's good to hear. I also found this tidbit from Mr. Flowers:
“When I look at my dad, or through my dad’s eyes, it’s weird to see how messed up things are getting. But through him I’ve learned a lot about values that used to exist, and I think those show their face on the new album.”
Support from older farts such as myself can't be good for their image, though.

(HT Jim Rose)

No comments: