Sunday, March 18, 2007

Duke boys blacklisted?

What in the world?
Former Georgia Congressman Ben Jones, a former cast member of the TV series, "The Dukes of Hazzard," is raising a ruckus over the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra's decision to cancel plans for a musical program featuring the series stars, John Schneider and Tom Wopat.
Seems a member(s) of the orchestra were offended by the "General Lee" because the Dukemobile had a Rebel flag painted on the roof. Said Schneider:
"I find it sad and depressing that in this day and age, someone could be as misinformed and narrow-minded as this. If you want to know what kind of guy I am ... go and see my work. Unless of course, someone has denied me the right to do so."
Boy howdy. I was never a real big fan, usually flipping past that show unless Daisy Duke happened to be in the scene, but since when do a few hypersensitive namby-pambies stop an entire show? The American Flag also flew under slavery, as did the British, French and Spanish flags. It's not like Schneider and Wopat are bringing hoods with them.

By the way, this flag was the flag of my fore-fathers. It's part of history, like it or not. I've never defended the South's stance on slavery but I don't connect the flag with slavery.

Some do, but it's not a big deal for me because I don't go driving around with one on the back of my pickup anyway. My feeling is the flag doesn't belong permanently displayed on government property--the war is over. No problem at a park for Confederate remembrance day, etc, or on private property.

At the same time, if someone wants to drive around with Hamas or Hizballah flags on the back of their pickups, so be it. Just be careful in Mississippi, boys.

No comments: