Saturday, January 21, 2006

A hero's perspective

Note to self: while I sit here typing blog entries, rambling along on whatever comes to mind, men half a world away are doing the tough stuff in support of my sorry butt. Don't forget about them.

Here's one such man--Maj. Danny McLendon from Montgomery, Alabama, who will be awarded the Bronze Star with Valor for his actions in Iraq.

Read about Major McLendon's actions here.

Heroes are often humble, most times believing they were 'just doing their job'. Major McLendon's perspective suggests that's true of him as well:
McLendon downplays his bravery and insists his wife is the one who deserves a medal.

"All I did was fight a war. She had to put with three 2-year-olds," he said. "She's the true hero."
He's right about that. One is bad enough. So what does the Major's heroic wife think about all the commotion?
McLendon's wife was not aware of her husband heroic actions before the announcement of the award was made.

"I thought he was an idiot," she said. "But that's just the kind of person he is and I'm very proud of him."
I've no doubt the Major is but one of many.

1 comment:

A.C. McCloud said...

Well Uncle, that's a heap more than I've contributed. My son, on the other hand, decided to join up after 9/11, and sorta like your example, is fighting the war from afar. So far.